Translate

Saturday 3 January 2015

Book Thoughts



One challenge I always feel I face with being an untrained actor is having some sort of technique or guidance, as it were, to make sure I'm ticking the necessary (if not basic) boxes to get me through an acting scenario. Be it an audition or a play etc. 

I have brought quite a few books over the years, Stanislavsky, Uta Hagen among others, some of which bored me to death upon opening, some contained tasks that proved difficult to do or indeed practice alone. After hearing of her book for a while and seeing quite positive reviews I decided to purchase Dee Cannon's book; In-depth Acting, and boy am I glad I did. Dee has been working in the industry for years, (here is a link to her WEBSITE, she also does some workshops and coaching) so she definitely knows what she is writing about. 

What I love about her book is that it is not intimidating, she was a tutor at one of the top drama schools in England and I will admit that did worry me initially about purchasing it. She is so used to teaching such talented people that I believed her book would be some sort of elite extension for them once they graduated. 
How I was wrong!
Dee's book is amazing, it is clear, precise and encouraging. I go back to her book whenever I need some pointers before an audition but what I think is important for someone like me who has not trained is to look at it regularly. Using fictitious jobs if need be, just to put into practice what her book teaches. I cannot tell you the amount of times I honestly felt enlightened about things that I was reading, things that I guess to some would be obvious, but to me I was hearing for the first time. 
I had an audition for something once and never before in my life had I felt prepared and confident in what I was doing until In-depth Acting, I took the book and script away with me to Thailand and on my free days sat there using it and the script to put into practice what I was learning. I didn't get the role in the end but boy oh boy was I proud of myself, and I couldn't believe how confident I felt. 

If you do decided to get the book (which I highly suggest) buy the paper version and carry it with you at all times, highlight, crease pages, scribble notes in the margins etc. But if your funds allow it, get the Kindle version as well which I have also, it's a nice back up to have and lighter than carrying the book as well. 

I would give In-depth Acting a 10/10, it has given me a confidence and a basic technique that I could not afford to pay for with regular classes at the moment. 

Buy from HERE and HERE

MEL X

Just so you know, I have never been taught, nor have I met Dee. I feel as though my gushing and love of her book may seem as if I do, but all my love for In-depth Acting has merely come from the writings of a talented tutor.

No comments:

Post a Comment