Translate

Thursday 23 May 2013

An introduction

Hey. I'm Melissa and I'm what could possibly be the most common job title in my circles... an 'aspiring actress'. I do hate that word 'aspiring' somewhat, but from experience when you just say 'actress' people immediately want to know what you have done. In my case however being an 'actress' is more positive thinking. 


'Believe you are an actor and with hard work and perseverance it will happen'.

So although I have done quite a few things which is non professional unfortunately none of it has been paid work. I may be shooting myself in the foot by admitting this but in this business we all have to start somewhere and this year is my year. I feel as though everything I have done so far has been beneficial to where I am now, it has opened my eyes to different plays, ways of  working, new people and just general experience. 

To give you a bit of history about me I feel as though I need to be honest about myself and my life. This is NOT a sob story but the reality of my life. If I would like you to read this and come on this journey with me I need you to know me as a friend would... so... 
I'm 24, when I was 15 my mum died leaving my dad and sister and I. My pops has never been a supporter of acting (I think he's possibly coming round now but I'm not sure), my mum however was. So you can imagine how difficult it was knowing since before I was 15 that I wanted to act and having a mum who supported me and tried to get me enrolled in classes to being left with a dad who was uninterested. So my dream just felt as though it was pointless, I had no money of my own when under 18 so I couldn't pay for my own classes, I didn't drive, well I still can't but at that time I wasn't as savvy on the bus, trains and underground as I am now, so I was literally stuck in a rut. Fast forward until the end of last year 2012. I'm an adult so if I want to act I'm GOING to act, I told myself I was not getting any younger and that I need to try and be positive and make the next year the start of things to come so 2013 is that year. I convinced myself to loose all the insecurities and stresses that I have built up over the years (they still appear from time to time) about trying in this business and just put myself out there. I have not been to drama school so I am literally starting from stage one all on my lonesome :-). 

I'm trying, I promise it's hard but I am.

Mel x

No comments:

Post a Comment